Thursday, February 11, 2016

My Platform

Back in 2010 I had ambitions. One of them was to run for political office. Because of that, I had my platform ready to go. My problem is that I do not have the financial backing to run for office. So here is how I would run my campaign as a candidate.

Abortion
I do not believe in abortion, however, I do believe the Supreme Court has ruled on the issue, and unless some miracle happens the Congress cannot ban abortion, so I would not run on a platform that banned all abortions. Though I would ask that you as a person would try to meet in the middle with me. Could be make sure there was a federal ban on late-term abortions? I know there are some out there that say as a man I do not have the authority to speak on the topic, but as someone that was born at 28 weeks I disagree. If you have reached the third trimester and you have finally decided you do not want that child, please consider the option of adoption. I was born three months early. I know these babies can survive outside the womb. Now, when it comes to medical emergencies, I am not a subject matter expert, and if you had to choose between your life and the life of an unborn child I could not judge you.

Homosexual Marriage
This has changed slightly over the past year as the Supreme Court has ruled on it. Again, I believe in traditional marriage. However, I also believe all people deserve to be treated equally in the eyes of the government. Always have! I believe in equal tax laws. A government should not tax more of an inheritance because you are not legally related, nor should they keep people from visiting loved ones from the hospital because of orientation. But for those that disagree with traditional marriage. Could we agree that people have the right to hold to the traditional view of marriage without being called bigots? As a minister I cannot in good faith perform a ceremony for a couple of the same sex. I believe God has given free will, and if a court looks at you and says you have the rights of a married couple, good for you, but as a minister I still have to live according to my faith. It doesn't mean I love you any less, it just means I am living according to what I believe is right.

Illegal immigration
There is no way we deport 11 million people. Will not happen. However when I hear the word Amnesty I think of a free pass. I do not believe that is right. I do believe there should be a path to citizenship, but that also involves not being able to get social security, and tax credits right away. There has to be some kind of penalty for coming in illegally when there were so many people to go through the system legally that are still waiting. Now, one area I do believe they could quickly earn their citizenship is through military service. Serve in the military two years minimum, and you should be granted citizenship.

The Border
No way do we make the Mexican's build the fence. Now if we were to have a partnership to help build the fence that is another story. Though we do need to secure our borders. We cannot continue to allow people into our country and not know who they are. If Mexico does not want to help then we could re-allocate some of our funding to them in securing the border. Once the border is secure and paid for that money could return.

Gun Control
I believe in the right to bear arms. Though I do believe we could do a little more to enforce the laws that are on the books. I also believe if you are on a no fly list that should equate to a no gun list. Now I believe you have the right to appeal being on a no fly list, but if there is evidence you should be on that list then there is a reason to withhold the right to purchase a firearm. I also believe in a universal background check. The same standard should apply to all 50 states.

Religious Freedom
This probably does not surprise you seeing that I have said I am a pastor, but I believe in the freedom OF religion not the freedom from. I believe that the federal government should not establish a federal religion, but the observance of is not the same as establishing. If we ever get a muslim president, and he chooses to site the Koran, he has that right. I may not agree with it, but it is his right. I will not agree with him, but he can do so if he pleases. One cannot ban religious observances from happening, because that too would be an establishment of secularism which is a faith background. The issue is that we have become so divided on many issues we have decided things must go our way. We cannot have that.

In the Declaration of Independence it say we have the right to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is my belief that that happiness is for the community, not the individual. If we all pursued our own desires, someone would ultimately ruin that for us. But as a community we deserve happiness, and that is only accomplished by working together.

No comments:

Post a Comment