Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Independent Mindset

I read an article the today about how John Boehner perceived Ted Cruz. This is what the former Speaker had to say about the presidential candidate:

             Lucifer in the flesh. I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with                        almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my                      life.

That is the problem. As a conservative, there is a lot that Ted Cruz says that I like. However, not being able to work with people is a problem. There are area's that I cannot vote yes on. I.e. expanding abortion rights, taking away 501c3 from organizations that do not accept gay marriage, etc. However, in order for this country to be able to run there are area's where compromise needs to be on the table. If you have alienated the whole legislative branch, you cannot serve as Commander-in-chief. The problem is there are a lot of people who are turning more to the right or more to the left, and nothing is getting done. The reason Congress has had such a low approval rating is because both the left and the right have dug their heels in the sand, and will not work with the other side, and this has not been a recent deal either. It was going on in the Bush years as well. As an Independent, I would like to see things get done. There needs to be a way both sides can come more to the center. They do not need to give up their convictions, but they need to find a way to keep this government running.

My plea to voters this election cycle is to find a candidate that is willing to work with the other side. One that is willing to go across the aisle to get things done. Let us hope this country goes in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment