Tuesday, March 1, 2016

NASCAR and Trump

I am a huge NASCAR fan. I grew up in Virginia, which is part of NASCAR country and was hooked at a young age. I was interested yesterday when Brian France endorsed Donald Trump. After all Brian France has been trying to move past controversial items in the past. The biggest example Surrounds the Rebel Flag. Now, I believe it is a flag with multiple meanings, but I understand the need to separate from it as it has been tainted for a while. In the Summer of 2015 after the Charleston, South Carolina shooting France had this to say concerning the flag, "We want to go as far as we can to eliminate the presence of that flag. I personally find it an offensive symbol, so there is no daylight how we feel about it and our sensitivity to others who feel the same way. We're working with the industry to see how far we can go to get that flag to be disassociated entirely from our events." What does this have to do with Donald Trump or the 2016 election? Read what Donald said on CNN when asked if he would disavow from the KKK and David Duke,"Just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke, OK? I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So I don't know. I don't know -- did he endorse me, or what's going on? Because I know nothing about David Duke; I know nothing about white supremacists." While he later disavowed David Duke, Trump missed an opportunity. He should have said yes I disavow any organization that carries a racist message. instead he said he had to do research on the group. The KKK is the perfect example of an offensive symbol. This was a chance that Donald missed, and soon after Brian France endorsed. This looks like a hypocritical moment for Brian France. Donald Trump has said things in the past that are offensive, and controversial, and in 2015 the Camping World Truck Series banquet had to be moved because of things Trump had said. To publicly endorse Donald Trump, Brian France just gave Donald Trump a pass and that may hurt NASCAR down the road.   

No comments:

Post a Comment