Friday, March 26, 2010

Don't ask Don't Tell

I have been thinking about this for a long time. The issue is whether or not gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military. As someone who plans to be a military chaplain, the issue has been on my mind. One, do I believe homosexuality is wrong? Yes. Do I believe in homosexual marriage? No. I do believe in rights for homosexuals. They are after all human beings. The marriage thing to me is defined as between a man and a woman. That is my view. But the question that comes up more and more for me is would I be willing to serve with gays? I might be in the minority when it comes to people who are Conservative Christians, but my answer is yes. I don't have to agree with their stance, and they do not have to agree with mine. I believe homosexuality is a sin, but at the same time all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. I do not believe that one sin is much worse than any other. But one thing is for sure, and that is this is a volunteer military service. These men and women still are willing to give their all for this country and that should be allowed. However, that may not be able to happen right away. We have to be careful with how to ok homosexuals in the military. You cannot go, "don't ask, don't tell is repealed." because there are many who will not serve openly with homosexuals. There are many that do not want homosexuals on base housing. They feel as if it is too controversial. I can see their points, but at the same time even though we may disagree with them, and their practice they still are willing to sacrifice their lives so others may have freedoms to disagree. Military personnel already do not get the recognition they deserve. Why do they have to hide their faces?  

No comments:

Post a Comment