Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ogden, Kansas

Back in August I was involved in bringing attention to a situation in the small town of Ogden. Two boys lost their job when last years pool manager Mona Bass says the mayor stopped by the pool.
"The mayor had come in, told me to take those boys off the schedule, Bass explained. "I, at the time, thought that meant just for that week. However, he did come back to the pool and said 'I trust you've taken those boys off the schedule.' I said, 'you don't mean fire them', and he said 'yes.'"
Bass says the boys weren't doing anything wrong, and that they were on an authorized 15 minute break.
from that point on the power of the mayor was brought into question. City council member Bob Pence had this to say,  "Should he have "fired those kids" that he's denying, no he shouldn't have. He didn't directly have the authority to do that." so the townspeople went into action, and they started a petition to get the mayor out. They recieved the signatures needed, and a vote was set for March 9, 2010. Well that vote was today, and the people of Ogden have spoken. Mayor Bond will no longer be mayor. Personally I have no problem with him as a person, but I felt he was not the leader Ogden, Kansas needed. Now is not the time to celebrate, yet the time to rebuild. It is time to work together to make this town a better place for future generations. Never before have I seen this town so active and involved. Keep it up and help Ogden build a better future. Bob Pence has a difficult task ahead of him. He must restore the trust of the mayor position. Also to Jimmy Bond, I wish you well, and I ask that you will help move Ogden forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment