Sunday, March 28, 2010

Immigration Reform

Well the next reform we may face is immigration, so here is my view on immigration. When it comes to immigration in the United States the first thing many of us think of is illegal immigration. Therefore that is where I will start. At first my thought was, ok how d I do this without sounding at any way racist, and as I go about it I hope that I can make my opinion known without being thought as one. In 2005 I took a summer job at McDonalds in Wichita, Kansas. Roughly eighty-five percent of the workers there were Mexican.  Most of which were related to the manager. To me that is no big deal, you want to make sure your family has a job, and can earn an income, but some of them could not speak English. Being in that situation is tough for me. Most of them did the cleaning jobs, made the fries, or kept the lids and ketchup stocked. One day I was asked to go and clean the restrooms, because the registers were overbooked. So I went and asked one of the workers that normally clean where the supplies were. She just stared, and then said, “I do not speak English.” Therein lays one if my biggest issues with immigration. In my opinion if you are going to work in America you need to know English. Some may use that as saying I have a nativism, or anti-immigrant sentiment, but that is not true. I have a stance against illegal immigration. According to the Latino National Political survey says that sixty percent of Mexican Americans believe United States citizens and residents should speak English. I know the Federal government is leaving it up to the states now after one failed attempt at amending the constitution, but they should have passed it. 
I believe that legal immigration is fine, but those who come in here illegally should be deported. If they want to be here that is fine, but do it correctly. We don’t have enough jobs for them. After deporting the illegal’s we should allow them to try and re-enter through legal means, either by work visa, or try for citizenship. Meaning, there should be a few more immigrations allowed that are legal. I agree with John McCain that there should be a fence that shows the border. Not just a chain link fence either. I believe there needs to be a Wall, with Border access points. According to reports the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association alleged that active duty members of the Mexican military were involved in a home invasion on the United States side of the border. After we secure our border, we then need to reform our immigration laws. As an overall view on immigration, even though I think we should allow a few more cross the border from Mexico, I believe our overall view on immigration should be tight. In my opinion we should tighten our borders, and allow less work visas, allowing for a small population decline.  Though I don’t want a huge decline in population, a small decline could lead to an increase in per capita wealth in our current economy, which is stagnant.
Overall I am an isolationist, but acknowledge in this day and age that isolationism is unreasonable. I believe we need to control immigration in the united states, and maybe even halt it for a short period of time, until we can get a reasonable resolution to the people who are already here. I know I am strong in saying all the illegal’s should be deported, but even in those cases, There would be wiggle room to allow some to stay, such as those who have a child that is now a United States citizen. However, they must be willing to accept the laws of this country before we allow them to get a visa, and later earn citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment