Friday, October 1, 2010

Barter system

According to the .S. Bureau of Labor Statistics our unemployment rate is at 9.5%, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics headline number counts as unemployed only people who have actively looked for a job in the previous four weeks. About 2.6 million people had pursued jobs in the past 12 months but, discouraged by the lack of opportunity, had stopped looking altogether. This means that the unemployment rate is higher than the 9.5%. And what about the people who only have part time jobs, or because of the economy have had to take a reduction in pay? Many people are hurting right now, and something needs to be done. I just heard about a lady who gives free haircuts for the unemployed. That is a step in the right direction. But what else can be done? Well i have a few ideas. I have been out of work since the end of July, and like many others, I have skills that are useful. Last week, I learned I would need my Ball Joints on the Ford Escape replaced. Well, I don't have $500 just laying around to get it fixed, and with a child and just one vehicle I didn't want to risk that part failing. So, I found someone who could help me fix the Vehicle. I paid for the parts, but he did the repairs for no cost. In return, I am tutoring his daughter in math 1-2 times a week. There are many people out there that have the skills to work, but cannot find a job. As Americans we need to come together to help each other out. There are things that can get done if we work together. From teachers, to mechanics, to carpenters, to lawyers. Somewhere someone is willing to work, but has not had that lucky break yet. Now is the time to come together as Americans to help each other out. Just imagine what could get done if everyone was willing to help out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment